Monday, October 1, 2012

The Next Big Thing


I was tagged by the lovely Gabrielle Prendergast at Angelhorn to participate in the Next Big Thing chain email!  I’m really excited to participate in this, but I have to warn you that my answers will be VERY vague.  If I reveal too much about my project at this point, my agent just might kill me!


Ten Interview Questions for the Next Big Thing:

What is your working title of your book?
Sorry, that’s a no-go at this point.  But it’s one word and it starts with an “A.”
Where did the idea come from for the book?
I love retellings, so I’m reimagining a very famous, very old story from the point of view of a teenage girl.
What genre does your book fall under?
It’s halfway between YA historical fiction and a fairy tale retelling.
Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?
I’d love to see Freida Pinto as my female lead, and Parminder Nagra as another important female character, Arisi.  For my male characters…sorry, I have no idea at this point!
What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?
An ancient story of disaster and rebirth, told from a new perspective.
Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?
Represented by an agency.
How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript? May we see an intro?
I started working on the novel in late April/early May, and I’m currently at 39300 words, halfway through if I’m lucky.  Yup, I’m a slow writer.
What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?
The Song of the Magdalene by Donna Jo Napoli and The Dovekeepers by Alice Hoffman
Who or what inspired you to write this book?
My agent actually suggested the idea to me, and without her support I would never have believed I could conquer such a daunting prospect.  I immediately realized how simultaneously timely and timeless this story is, and my research into the background and historical era only made me more excited.
What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest?
It’s set during the Early Bronze Age…the cast is made up entirely of people of color…and there are baby elephants!

So I'm tagging...ONLY if you're interested, absolutely no obligation!:
Stephanie Lawton http://stephanielawton.com/
Here's the instructions:
Rules of The Next Big Thing:
*Use this format for your post
*Answer the ten questions about your current WIP (work in progress)
*Tag five other writers/bloggers and add their links so we can hop over and meet them.
Ten Interview Questions for the Next Big Thing:
What is your working title of your book?
Where did the idea come from for the book?
What genre does your book fall under?
Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?
What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?
Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?
How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript? May we see an intro?
What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?
Who or what inspired you to write this book?
What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest?
Include the link of who tagged you and this explanation for the people you have tagged. Be sure to line up your five people in advance.

No comments:

Post a Comment