Wednesday, November 14, 2012

A Little Challenge...


As you probably know, Defy the Stars is a Romeo and Juliet retelling, and as a lifetime lover of retellings (especially retold fairy tales, btw!), I like to mix in little winks and nods to the original.  The only reason I was able to do this, of course, was because I reread Romeo and Juliet and took notes just before writing my modern version.  So I don’t expect readers to pick up on these little things…  But in case you’re curious, here are four Romeo and Juliet tidbits I worked into my novel.  No spoilers, so don’t be afraid to keep reading even if you haven’t read the book. 

The catch is…I’m not going to tell you HOW these four elements relate to the original Romeo and Juliet until next Wednesday, in the follow-up to this post.  So if anyone’s so inclined, you can go back to the original play (or watch the movie!) and try to figure out what these refer to.  Have fun!

1.     
  The stoners’ tree where Reed and his buddies hang out is a SYCAMORE…



2.       The club where Julia and Reed hang out is called SERPENT’S HEART…

(This picture is of a statue called Serpent’s Heart in World of Warcraft, and has nothing to do with my book or R&J!)

3.       Reed’s brother is named CARY…

(This picture actually is a clue!)

4.       At the beginning of the book, Julia has her named yelled at her several times…and she even wonders why people keep “calling her.”




(Okay, those two are clues too!)

No comments:

Post a Comment