Thursday, July 25, 2013

Blog Tour: Nearly Broken by Devon Ashley


Welcome to my stop on the blog tour for Nearly Broken by Devon Ashley, hosted by YA Bound.  You can follow along with the rest of the tour here.


Release Date: 06/04/13

We’d both gone missing at one point, but Claire had one thing I didn’t. Someone to notice. So why was I the one still here and she the one still gone?

Nineteen year old Megan Smith has spent the past year working in a small town diner in the middle of nowhere. Life is quiet, simple, safe. Then comes the news that her look-a-like has gone missing.

Claire.

Still damaged both physically and mentally, Megan's not looking to be noticed. Wherever she goes from here, it's a road she needs to take alone. But when Nickolas Ellis takes the job as the new nightshift cook, it scares her how easily her defenses crumble down, down, down for him. But there are secrets she can't bear to share with just anyone, unspeakable acts that continue to haunt, and when the similarities of Claire’s abduction couples with the fear of an unwanted visitor in town, the urge to run before it all happens again intensifies, threatening the only happiness Megan's ever found.

New Adult Romantic Suspense / Realistic Fiction

Recommended for 17+ for mature and disturbing situations, language and sexual content.

Add Nearly Broken on Goodreads and purchase on AmazonBarnes and Noble, and Kobo.

My Review

Wow!  Devon Ashley’s Nearly Broken is one of the darkest, most intense books I’ve ever read, especially the last third.  Many other reviews have mentioned a need to be vague about the plot in order to avoid spoilers, and I’m going to do the same thing here.  I do think that if you read some other reviews and/or just the synopsis, you can make a good guess as to the general subject matter of the book.  I know of a few other indie books about this subject, but Nearly Broken was the first one I read, and I have to say I was incredibly impressed.  I’m so glad that indie publishing has allowed authors to explore these types of very dark, but realistic subjects that traditional publishers might balk at.


From the first page of Nearly Broken, I was completely sucked in to the story and just had to keep reading and find out what happened to Megan.   Her voice was believable and engaging, the plot was suspenseful from the very beginning, and once the love interest Nick appeared on the scene, I loved him right away.  He was just a really amazing, genuinely good guy, and someone Megan really needed in her life.
Devon Ashley didn’t shy away from depicting Megan’s pain and the horrors she’s gone through—and again, this is where I don’t want to get too specific, in order to avoid spoilers.  In the middle section of the book, I alternated between feeling hopeful about Megan’s first steps toward healing with Nick’s help, and horror as she discovered more of the truth about her past.  But all that changed in the last third of the book, when things became intense, horrific and heart-pounding on a completely different level.  Once I got to this part, I literally could not put the book down until I finished.  I was amazed by the author’s ability to take readers to such a very dark place, and to portray it so realistically and in such an emotionally gripping way.  The ending was satisfying, but still leaves plenty of room for a sequel.

I know this review has been vague, but trust me—if you like dark, suspenseful, psychologically oriented novels, you need to read Nearly Broken!

About the Author

Devon Ashley was born in Huntington Beach but has spent most of her life residing in Texas. She spends a great deal of her time taking care of her husband and son but always seems to find time to write, knit and create unique decorative pieces. She particularly likes to write Urban Fantasy and Paranormal Romance.
Interesting Fact: Devon Ashley shares her birthday with her favorite author, Jane Austen.



Giveaway


a Rafflecopter giveaway

No comments:

Post a Comment