Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Blog Tour: Aurora Sky: Vampire Hunter by Nikki Jefford


Welcome to my stop on the blog tour for the Aurora Sky: Vampire Hunter series by Nikki Jefford, hosted by Xpresso Book Tours.  Today I'm reviewing Book 2, Northern Bites.  You can follow along with the rest of the tour here.


BOOK ONE:
Aurora Sky by Nikki Jefford
(Aurora Sky: Vampire Hunter #1)
Genres: New Adult, Paranormal, Urban Fantasy

Synopsis:
Her blood is toxic to vampires.

If there is one thing eighteen-year-old Aurora Sky wants, it's to get off the iceberg she calls home. Being kissed before she graduates wouldn't hurt either.

Then a near-fatal car wreck changes everything. Government agents step in and save Aurora's life in exchange for her services as a vampire hunter in Alaska. Basically she's a glorified chew toy. All thanks to her rare blood type, which sends a vampire into temporary paralysis right before she has to finish the job...by hand.

Now Aurora's only friends are groupies of the undead and the only boy she can think about may very well be a vampire.

(Mature YA/New Adult series. Contains mild language, violence, sexual situations . . . and blood sucking.)

Add it on Goodreads and purchase on Amazon and Barnes and Noble.


BOOK TWO:
Northern Bites by Nikki Jefford
(Aurora Sky: Vampire Hunter #2)
Genres: New Adult, Paranormal, Urban Fantasy


Synopsis:
Love bites.
Probation sucks.

Thanks to Dante’s recklessness, Aurora is now partners with Valerie: the redheaded, backstabbing vixen.

Dante is in full flirt mode. Fane’s tactics are more ruthless. Something carnal has awakened in Aurora and neither boy is helping tame her cravings.

When a member of the unit’s team is found dead, Aurora and Valerie are sent after a vampire in Sitka, but Aurora suspects the killer’s much closer to home.
Add it on Goodreads and purchase on Amazon and Barnes and Noble.

MY REVIEW OF NORTHERN BITES

Wow! I loved the first book in this series, but with Northern Bites I feel like author Nikki Jefford really hit her stride.  First of all, we’re already familiar with Aurora’s new role as a vampire hunter, and we’ve already been introduced to our wonderful cast of characters (more on them later!), so in this installment we can jump right into the action.  Secondly, I found the writing to be really strong and the tone spot-on throughout the book.  Both in Aurora’s narration and in dialogue, there was some sarcastic or pithy line I wanted to highlight on nearly every page.  One of my favorites was Aurora’s observation that “you never really knew a person till a boy ended up dead.”

The plot is fast-paced and exciting throughout Northern Bites—there’s a murder mystery to solve, changes of scenery, and always the underlying question of what exactly this underground, vampire-hunting agency is doing and how Aurora’s virus-infused blood has really affected her.  Even more than the plot, though, what I love about this series is the characters.  Aurora is a strong lead with a good head on her shoulders and a nice mix of pragmatism, sarcasm, and underlying vulnerability to her character.  And all of the secondary characters are so fun to read about, whether they’re likable or not (or sometimes both likable and unlikable at the same time.)  Dante, Valerie, Noel, Fane, and Jared are all three-dimensional, interesting characters.  Funny, charming Dante really shines in this installment, and Valerie, who could have easily been just the stereotypical mean girl, turns out to be so much more.  Fane is…not so awesome in this book, but I read on the author’s blog that a novella is going to reveal a different side to his behavior, so I’m trying my best to reserve judgment for now.  And I really like that Jefford created a love interest who wasn’t traditionally handsome, but was still really sexy. 

Speaking of sexy…while there isn’t a ton of romantic development in Northern Bites, there IS some steam, and it’s very well done too!

Finally, I have to mention how much I enjoy the Alaskan setting and the way the author develops it.  I’ve had a special love for books about Alaska since I read Julie of the Wolves in elementary school.  I love the way Jefford works interesting Alaskan tidbits into the story, like the creepy totem pole park Aurora visits.  And there’s also a totally logical reason for so much vampire-hunting activity taking place in Alaska…yay for logic!


I have a feeling this series will only get better as it keeps going, and I’m excited for the next book!

GIVEAWAY

a Rafflecopter giveaway

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Nikki Jefford is a third generation Alaskan who found paradise in the not-so-tropical San Juan Islands (Wash.) where she is once more neighbors with Canada in a town without a single traffic light. She loves fictional bad boys and heroines who kick butt.

When she's not reading, writing, working, or out on a nature walk, she's out riding her Suzuki DRZ400SM.

Author links:


6 comments:

  1. Great review, Stephanie! I like how action packed this series sounds and can I say it's refreshing to have a book not spotlight the romance? Yes, please!! Glad you liked it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephanie, thank you for this lovely, lovely review. That's awesome you saw my post about the novella and are reserving judgment on Fane. And now I have to say... I LOVED Julie of the Wolves! I'd forgotten all about that book. Thanks for that nostalgic moment. xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Julie of the Wolves is still one of my top-ten all time favorite books!

      Delete
  3. There is some definite steam in this one, huh?! Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review! I've been meaning to get around to read this one, but I've been so busy. I'm glad it stands up next to the first book!

    ReplyDelete